Looking to do some Spring cleaning this weekend? Here I am going to share my recipe for this amazing homemade cleaning solution that I love and use everyday. The basic ingredients are basically vinegar, herbs and essential oils. As someone with a small child and extremely sensitive to chemicals, I love that this solution is all natural but incredibly effective at killing germs and cutting grease!
The vinegar kills bacteria, and the hyssop herb and tea tree oil are effective disinfectants and the lemon oil freshens up. I use this solution to clean everything from my kitchen, bathroom and even baby toys. I hope you enjoy this recipe! Here it is-
You will need:
- Empty spray bottle
- Large empty fillable tea bags (can purchase at most health food stores)
- Tea tree oil
- White distilled vinegar
- *optional* Lemon Essential oil- adds a nice citrus touch
- Fill a tea bag with 1/2 cup of hyssop herb.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a small saucepan.
- Placed the hyssop tea bag in the boiling water for 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, turn off heat and let it sit for 30 minutes to one hour.
- Remove tea bag, dump liquid into spray bottle.
- Put in 1/2 cup of vinegar into spray bottle.
- Pour in 1 tablespoon of Tree oil and 1/2 tablespoon lemon oil along with the optional essential oil with fragrance of choice. I personally like grapefruit oil- it adds a refreshing cheeriness to the scent.
- Fill the rest of what is left in the spray bottle with purified water.
- Shake the spray bottle to mix the ingredients.
To me, cleaning the home is symbolic to cleaning up everything in body, mind and soul that is disorganized and needs a good reboot. Spring is a time of renewal and rejuvenation, so it is the perfect time to do such much-needed cleaning. What are you doing to prepare for Spring?